This is a followup to this document preparing you to move from WePay to Stripe. If you have not already read and completed those steps, please click here before proceeding with these steps.
We recommend taking the following steps to continue your WePay to Stripe migration when your Action Network and Stripe Admin has the dedicated time to complete Step 4 through Step 6 uninterrupted, during Action Network’s Support business hours, Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm ET.
During this time, you should closely monitor your communications with the Action Network Support team to assist in Steps 2 through 6 being completed as quickly as possible. When uninterrupted, we estimate Steps 2 through 6 to take up to one hour.
1. Prepare Your Stripe Account and Donor Messaging for Migration
We recommend verifying your Stripe account meets the following settings to support the migration process:
- Your Stripe account has been verified. See more here if you’re unsure of the verification status of your account.
- Ensure you have added a bank account for payouts. See more here for steps on how to add a bank account for payment.
- Verify that at least one administrator of your Action Network group with the contributions permission is also an administrator of the Stripe account you set up for your WePay to Stripe migration. You can learn more about adding admin to Stripe accounts here. You can learn more about adding admin to Action Network groups here.
- Adjust Stripe’s Radar Rules to minimize the number of migrated recurring that may fail. We recommend disabling the "Block if postal code verification fails" rule. You can do that by clicking the three dots on the right of that rule and selecting disable. You can learn more about Stripe Radar’s Risk controls here.
- Review your group's Recurring Donations Settings. Due to Stripe's security features and/or pre-existing recurring donation statuses, failed migration of recurring donations cannot be entirely mitigated. Because of this, we highly recommend reviewing your failed charge and canceled donation emails. Confirm the emails use the language your group wants for capturing donor attention and compelling donors to update payment information.
2. Request WePay be disconnected from your Fundraiser
After successfully creating and preparing your Stripe account, your group should be ready to migrate from WePay to Stripe. This means Action Network will need your approval to break the link between your Action Network group and WePay account. Once that link is broken:
- Refunds, for payments made prior to the break, can only be processed through your WePay user interface.
- Your group will not be able to receive donations through an Action Network fundraising page until you connect your group to Stripe.
A group admin should send an email to email@example.com with the request to switch your fundraising payment processor from WePay to Stripe. For ease, we recommend that you copy and paste the text below, inserting the information specific to your group(s):
- Subject: Request to Migrate from WePay to Stripe
- Body: I would like to migrate my Action Network Fundraiser’s payment processor from WePay to Stripe. Please break the link from my WePay account to my Action Network Group [Insert Group Link]. I recognize that breaking this link will prevent my group from issuing refunds from before the break via the Action Network interface.
- If you are migrating from a user to a group, please include the email address of your user account as well as the link to the group you are migrating to
Note: You are not required to use the template above in order to migrate from WePay to Stipe. However we do require the request to (1) come from a group admin and (2) include your group link. Not including this information in your email will result in a request for it, therefore extending the time donations cannot be processed.
3. Wait for Confirmation
Our team will confirm when your WePay link has been broken, via your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not continue until you receive confirmation from our team.
4. Connect your Group to Stripe
After you receive confirmation your WePay link has been broken, you can proceed with connecting Stripe as your group’s payment processor.
Reminder: Someone who is an administrator with the contributions permission on the group in Action Network and also an administrator of the Stripe account you set up for receiving funds will have to do this step. If you need to, have an existing Stripe administrator add this person as an administrator in Stripe, or invite someone who is already a Stripe administrator to be an administrator of your Action Network group and give them the contributions permission.
To connect your Action Network group to Stripe, create a new fundraising page or edit an existing fundraising page in which this group is a recipient and save. You will be prompted to set up or choose an existing Stripe account. Select to choose the existing Stripe account recently created for the purpose of this migration. Follow the steps until you reach the end and are back on the fundraising page you started with.
Note: We strongly recommend connecting each group with a separate Stripe account. Without separation it will be impossible to tell in Stripe what funds came from what group.
5. Test Your Fundraiser and Stripe Connection
We recommend testing your fundraiser and Stripe connection by donating $1 (or other small amount) with a valid card. In Stripe, verify you see the donation.
6. Confirm Completion
Once you’ve confirmed your Action Network group and Stripe account have been successfully connected, reply to your 'Request to Migrate' email to email@example.com to confirm. By sending this confirmation, we will then migrate existing recurring donors from WePay to Stripe and let you know when we have done so.
After you’re done with this step, you’re totally done! You may ignore future general communications reminding partners to complete their WePay to Stripe migration. Email support if you see any issues or have any questions!