The first time you add a new recipient to a fundraising or ticketed event page, you'll be asked to set up a Stripe account. Stripe is our preferred payment processor -- they handle the credit cards, store your money, and facilitate withdrawals to your bank account.
Stripe features include:
- Handling the credit card information, storing your money, and facilitating withdrawals to your bank account for increased safety and security
- Instant setup, so you can get started raising money right away
- Availability in many countries and currencies (see here for a list)
- For US-based organizations, there is a 3.9% transaction fee + $0.30 for processing fees (see more about fees here), with no additional fees
- For Canadian-based organizations, there is a 4.1% transaction fee + C$.30 for processing fees
- For Stripe accounts outside of the US and Canada, the fees may be different, both higher and lower depending on your location. Contact us for more information.
When setting up your Stripe account, keep the following details in mind:
- You will need to provide Stripe with information such as your bank details during the setup process, it cannot be saved until later.
- Each recipient in Action Network will need its own Stripe account if you want to keep the funding streams separate. Or, you can use one Stripe account, but there will be no way for you to separate out the funds raised towards each different Action Network recipient.
- If you make your Stripe account after September 14, 2017, you will be charged Stripe's fee on refund, though your activist will see a full refund.
- Learn more at Stripe.com
When using Stripe as your payment processor, you should also select a currency you'd like to charge donors in. Once you've created your account and granted us access to it, you'll be taken back to the Action Network to finish setting up your fundraising or ticketed event page.
Each time you add a new recipient on a fundraising or ticketed event page, you'll be asked to set up a payment processor for that recipient if you haven't set one up already. The process is the same as the above for each recipient. In this way you can raise different streams of money for different things, such as a separate 501c3 and 501c4 organization, just set up another group. (You don't even have to use this group for data, actions, and email lists, it can just be a "dummy" group that's a recipient on fundraising pages and nothing else while your main group continues to sponsor actions and send emails as normal.)
At this time, Action Network only supports Stripe for new Fundraisers. As of August 17, 2023 Action Network no longer supports WePay as a payment processor for new fundraisers. If you are fundraising for a group, save your fundraising page again and choose Stripe as your payment processor instead. If your organization does not have an existing group on Action Network, you will need to create a group to fundraise. You can learn more about groups here.