Action Network is committed to helping our partners in the EU become GDPR compliant by the May 25th deadline. Please review the below carefully to understand actions you may need to take in order to become compliant.
Action Network has always treated privacy and security very seriously as part of our mission to provide tools to the progressive movement in a way that fits our values. Many of the requirements of GDPR have been part of our processes and procedures from the beginning. There are additional requirements within the GDPR legislation that are new, and we are working to make sure we provide those services to our EU partners before the regulations go into effect in May.
It’s important to note that while we have done extensive research and our strategy to meet GDPR criteria has been approved by lawyers specializing in data compliance, we are your data processor and cannot provide you legal advice. To achieve GDPR compliance you will need more than the technical changes we will enable, and the data processing addendum we will ask you to sign. We recommend all Action Network partners working in the EU or otherwise subject to GDPR to obtain their own legal council.
By the May 25th deadline, Action Network will be ready to provide the following:
A Data Processing Addendum
- The Data Processing Addendum (DPA) sets the terms of the relationship between Action Network (the the data processor) and our partners (the data controllers).
- We will provide DPAs for all Action Network partners working in the EU. If you’d like to request a copy, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GDPR-compliant Email Opt In Consent
- We will provide a GDPR compliant opt-in consent option for all groups on Action Network. If this option is selected in group settings, all Action Network forms/widgets for the group will show a different style of GDPR-compliant opt in instead of our normal pre-checked checkbox.
- The new opt in option will be a required radio button above the action submit button forcing all action takers to select yes or no to be opted in to that group’s list. This will be released in early May before the May 25th deadline.
The Right to be Forgotten
- We will honor all data deletion requests by Action Network partners. Requests can be made to email@example.com.
The Right to Data Portability
- We will provide data exports on requested records for Action Network partners. Requests can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.