When you're ready to upload your personalization dataset, follow these steps:
Navigate to the Start Organizing menu, and under the Details column, click Personalization Datasets. On that page, click Add New Dataset in the left corner.
Select the core field or custom field you want to match on. You can match by geographic core fields, like city, state, zip code or country, or any custom fields you have. This is the field that will match to the 'key' column of your CSV.
You can now start creating your CSV. Download the sample file in the directions to take a look at how the data should be formatted. Keep in mind these criteria:
- The column headings should be 'key' and 'value' where key is the core field or custom field value you want to match by, and 'value' is the output of the clip.
- The values can be plain text or HTML
- The keys are not case sensitive, but must be exact matches otherwise. This includes spaces, punctuation, etc.
Data formats for core fields must match the formatting exactly. If a key is spelled incorrectly (such as "Nwe York"), we won't flag the error and won't match to the appropriate state. So make sure to double check your keys! Here's some guidelines:
- For states, this should be the full name of the state spelled out (for example, 'Texas' or 'New York').
- For zip codes in the US, this should generally be the five-digit zip code.
- For country, this should be the two-digit country code (like 'US' or 'CA').
When you're ready, browse for the file and upload your CSV (check out the sample file here). Then give your personalization dataset an administrative title and click Upload.
Once you've uploaded your personalization dataset, wait a couple of minutes for the upload to process. Some errors may be flagged for you on the page. Once the upload is done, refresh the page and copy the clip and use it in emails and mobile messages. Here's more on using the personalization datasets.