A short code is a 5 or 6-digit number that can send and receive mobile to and from mobile phones. Short codes are recommended for high volume campaigns (200,000+ messages/day or more). You can optionally share your short code with groups that share your branding, such as affiliates or organizations with a c3/c4 structure. This is great for groups in a network, so they can share a short code with their child groups.
There's a few things you will need to consider when setting up a shared short code:
- Unsubscribes are global, meaning if a person unsubscribes from a text from any group using that short code, they will be unsubscribed from all the groups using that short code.
- All telecom fees are charged to the primary short code holder.
- You will need to prefix messages going out, which you can do in the settings tab of your group manage page. More here.
- Only the primary short code holder will get stop and unsubscribe settings.
- Keywords for text to take action and long codes for call campaigns will be deduplicated across all groups using the short code.
- Because multiple groups are using the same short code, replies are "guessed", meaning if someone replies to a mobile message or a wait and store step in a ladder, we will assign that reply to the most recent message sent by that short code. The message will then be stored or sent to the inbox accordingly. More here.
To set up shared short codes, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the link to the group you want to own the sort code and the groups you want to share it with.